Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Monday, January 31, 2011

Bah! Humbug!

I am sure most of you are still recovering from Christmas, and you certainly don't want to look forward to the next one, so you must be wondering why I have started making next year's Christmas cards. The simple answer is so that I can take part in the Bah! Humbug! Challenge, set by three lovely ladies on their blog of the same name. The idea is that each week they set a challenge (theme etc) and anyone can make a card, or other Christmas crafty-make, and post it on their own blog. We then link it to the host blog so they can view it.

I thought this was an excellent idea and fun too. 2010 was the first year that my cards were made and ready well in advance, and this was because I knew my cataract appointment was imminent. It was so nice not to feel rushed in an effort to make the last posting date, so I thought I should try to be organised again this year, and this challenge is just the incentive I needed.

I missed the first three weeks so I am coming in at Challenge 4, 'An Oldie but a Goldie'; the idea being that we use something that has been lurking in the cupboard for a while, but we just don't use it, either because it has been forgotten, or it's just so nice we want to keep it.
So here's my first entry. I used some lovely gold embossed paper that have had for years, and it was so hard to cut into it! The stamp is from an Elusive Images plate that I bought for the holly images, and somehow the tree has never been used.



For the topper I stamped the tree and embossed it with sea-foam white embossing powder. Then I sprayed it liberally with Sticky Fingers gold spray and Candy apple red Glimmer mist. I wiped the spray off the embossed image and mounted it up on the background paper along with a stamped greeting by Stampendous on a Cuttlebug label, which I threaded on to some very, very old parcel ribbon.

I have added a close up of the tree as the spray effect does not show very well in the main image.

I can't wait to see what they challenge us with next week.

4 comments:

Annie said...

Hello Kate and welcome to our challenges at Bah! Humbug! What a stunning first entry to our challenges. That tree is so frosty - I just love the effect you have achieved. Thanks for the close up as you can see it even better on that.
Hope you will become a regular at Bah! Humbug! and will be visiting us again soon.
Ann xxx
Bah! Humbug! DT

craftimamma said...

This is lovely Kate. I've always loved that spikey tree but didn't get to use it last Christmas (too many new ones to play with, Lol). Lovely shimmery background on the topper and I know exactly what you mean about some papers being so hard to cut into, ahem!

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Max said...

Hi Kate =) So pleased you've decided to join in with us at Bah! Humbug! this year. If you are going to produce beautiful results like this for our challenges then I know the pleasure will be all ours when we come to visit! Love that tree stamp. Can sympathise with your reluctance to cut into the gorgeous background paper because it is special. How cruel of us to make you lol! ... but having achieved this result, you have to admit it was worth it. Thank you for sharing with us at Bah! Humbug!

Luv'n'Stuff
Max
xx
Max's Craft Creations
Bah! Humbug! Challenges DT

Gina said...

Hi Kate,

Great to see you crafting along at Bah Humbug. I seem to get mine in just at the last minute. It'll be worth it though in Decmeber when we have a nice stash of cards reday to use.
Gina x