Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Friday, April 15, 2011

Take two.

On our journey through the Christmas alphabet, this week we have reached H is for Hotspot. This is an interesting technique whereby an image is stamped in monochrome, usually black and white. It is then stamped for a second time and a small area is chosen for the 'Hotspot', coloured, cropped, normally as a circle, matted onto a second slightly larger, darker circle, and then carefully attached in its correct position on the main image.

Cute images lend themselves to this technique, and I don't usually do 'cute', but I did manage to find this little mouse stamp by Personal Impressions, and it worked just fine. I used a momento inkpad so I could colour it with my copic markers. I wanted to make a bright and cheerful card so I used a sheet of docrafts paper which could be nearly antique!, some slightly gaudy parcel ribbon, and I made a poinsettia with my new Marianne die that was just begging to be used. I can take no credit for the holly and bow as it is something I rescued from a Christmas card I recieved last year.


I am quite happy with this card though it is not really my style so I had a second go with a stamp I have used in this way many times before. This is one of my favourite Penny Black images, new last autumn I believe, and I have a pair to it showing a doe and her baby in a similar landscape. To stamp this, I carefully inked up all the background with a pad, again I used momento tuxedo black, and then I coloured the stag with a brown Marvy le plume pen, and stamped it altogether. Normally I would leave it like that, but for this challenge I repeated the stamping and cut the stag to mount as my hotspot. I layered it onto some silver holographic paper, (this was a rash buy from QVC I think, and I have enough of it to wallpaper my room, so I am trying to use some up!), and then onto black. A large tree by Magenta stamped onto a white base card provided the background, and a simple SeeD's greetings and some punched out silver snowflakes was all it needed. However, I usually add a bit of sparkle with a stickles glitter glue to snowy scenes, using one of my trio of ice, diamond and crystal. When I couldn't replace one of these I bought the newer one called frosted lace which appears to be whiter in the bottle. I though I'd give it a try on this card but I was disappointed to find that it has much less sparkle. than the others. That was last night. This morning I found that it had taken on a hint of pink, which wasn't quite the effect I was looking for. Whether it interacted with the momento ink, or whether it will always look like this, I have yet to find out. But what's done is done, and I am happy with the card anyway.

So I am entering both these cards in the ABC Christmas Challenge - H is for Hotspot.

7 comments:

Helen said...

Fabulous cards Kate - love how you've used the 'hotspot' technique with two very different styles of card!
Thanks for joining us at the ABC Christmas Challenge!
Helen x

Jean said...

You have been busy this week,I like both of your cards especially the cheery little mouse.Jean x

Saskia said...

I love that technique, it's simple but highly effective. You've done a great job here. Love that mouse!

fatmonica said...

Love these cards,especially the second one.

Dorte said...

Lovely hotspot cards you have made Kate. So different but wonderful both of them. Thank you for sharing them with us at ABC Christmas Challenge this time.
Dorte,x

Anonymous said...

Fabulous to having you playing along again this week! and 2 lovely and very different cards! love them both hugs Samantha ABC Christmas Challenge :0)

Kaz said...

So different yet both great cards. Love both of them. The little deer is especially good with this technique. Beautiful cards.
Kaz x