Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Thursday, January 26, 2012

A First Attempt

Despite still getting to grips with all the new things on my computer, a different camera, craft serif artist, and an on-line water-colour course, today I took on another new challenge. I started a course of parchment work for beginners. The timing isn't great but it has taken the organiser a year to get enough people interested, so there won't be another one for a while. The classes are only once a month so it shouldn't be too difficult to fit them in, but we do have to do lots of practice in between classes. Of course, it also meant that we needed to buy several new items of equipment. The only useful things I had were a few ball tools from the long ago time when we used to hand emboss card using brass stencils and a light box. So I bought enough today to keep be busy for now, and others are on order and should be here in time for the next lesson. As so often happens out here, two of the people who had signed up for the course are no longer around, so in the end there were only four of us, plus our teacher Brenda (in the red top), and Margaret (in the purple stripe top) who runs the craft shop up in Albox, where the classes are held. Today we learned a bit about handling parchment, and how we will be working with it, and mastered the very basic techniques. By the end of the day we had all put together a simple birthday card. Here is mine. It has lots of things I would like to do better, and I will have another go at it soon, but it is not too bad for a first attempt. This is something I have often looked at with admiration, so I am glad to have the opportunity to at least have a go at it for myself.

6 comments:

veronica said...

It is wonderful for a first attempt Kate, and you all looked as if you were having a great time. I haven't done any parchment for ages, but use the ball tools all the time...

Jean said...

This is very pretty Kate, great for your first go too. Jean x

Di said...

Phew - gorgeous Kate. You're loads braver than I am - it's really great! Di xx

kiwimeskreations said...

For a first card it looks fabulous! Well done on keeping on learning.
Blessings
Maxine

Saskia said...

Great start, Kate! I can't see any flaws at all. Can't wait to see what you'll make next.

craftimamma said...

Wow, fab first attempt Kate, in fact, fab anyway as far as I'm concerned. Parchment craft is something I admire a lot but have never tried. I'm way behind with your posts so I hope the class is continuing and you are enjoying yourself.

Hus
Lesley Xx