Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

ATCs for a special young lady.

I thought it was about time I did a post on here, so seeing as I haven't got back into crafting mode since my week in UK  followed immediately by visitors out here, I thought I would show you something I made to take to England with me. Having five sons, five grandsons and a great grandson, I sometimes feel a tad outnumbered. But I do have two lovely gran-daughters, and I am pleased to see Hannah, who is now almost thirteen, taking an interest in papercraft. On her last visit she was particularly interested in my folders of ATCs, and back at home she started making some. When I asked her whether she had anyone to swap them with, she said 'No' so I promised to bring three with me for her to swap with. And here is what I made.

The first one I chose because Hannah is entering the stage where clothes have to be black, and her parents long-ago interest in all things goth, is beginning to feature in her style. So I chose this digi stamp from The Paper Shelter, because it is called Goth Girl, but it still has an element of colour in it. When I bought it, I also purchased a set of papers with the same name, and because I wanted to use them as a backing, I followed the colour guide that came with the stamp as it matched the papers. I used my copic pens to colour the image.

Fortunately Hannah is still sufficiently 'girly' to enjoy pretty things as well, so I used a funky font that I purchased from Lettering Delights to write her name. I reversed the second 'H' and 'A' so the eyes were looking inwards, but I couldn't do it with the 'n' as the school teacher in me wouldn't let me use a back-to-front letter! I added an ancient pair of googly eyes from my stash to the first letter, and some pretty pink flowers and die cut leaves at the base.

 For the last one I thought I would try out some lacé parchment work to practise what I had learned at my last class. It is still a long way off being well done, but I am making some progress. I mounted this onto some bright pink and purple card made when I first experimented with rainbow inks on glossy card, about eight years ago. It has been sitting in my stash ever since, and I thought the strong colours would make a good background for the parchment. Some sticky ribbon, pink gems, and a few metallic butterflies finished this one.

In return Hannah gave me these. She knows my three favourite images for crafting with are flowers, fairies and butterflies, so she has used a stamped flower, a hand drawn butterfly and bee, and some fairly stickers, on her own decorated backgrounds. These will now be given pride of place in my ATC folder.

As I haven't entered a challenge for a while I will link this to Make it Monday, week 92, where Anything goes.

19 comments:

Jean said...

Hi Kate, I like your ATCs, especially the parchment one, it's beautiful. I love the googly eyes on the letters too.Hannah's ATCs are very pretty as well. I would be willing to swap some with her if she would like to. Jean x

Chris said...

love your cards ,glad to have you back
chris

Angy B said...

I was lucky enough to see these 'in the hand' before Hannah received them and they were even nicer than they look here Kate.
Hannah ATCs look great too, think I just might have to make a few to swap with her too. Angy x

Anonymous said...

What a fab variety of ATCs. Your colouring on Goth Girl is fantastic, and the lace work is something I have not seen before. Hannah's ATCs are so pretty - lovely colours. If she would like to swap one with me, then get in touch (with a theme, if she wants one). Ali x

Chris Stern / CS Designs said...

All lovely pieces, especially love the one with the parchment.
:) Chris / CS Designs

Found you through MIM

kiwimeskreations said...

What joy to share your craft with a grand daughter - love your ATC's, especially the parchament craft one :-).Hannah's are also looking lovely.
Blessings
Maxine

Di said...

Wonderful ATCs Kate - talent is obviously being passed down the family line too :)

Di xx

Saskia said...

Lovely ATC's, Kate and your granddaughter inherited your talent!

Shoshi said...

Oh wow, Kate - love ALL the ATCs! Isn't it great that Hannah is following in her grandmother's footsteps? I can see that she is very creative! As for your ATCs, they are all so different in style, and show off your diverse skills to perfection. I've never done parchment work, or lace (sorry, can't put an accent on that!) - the results are truly beautiful. You may not think so, but it looks perfect to me! She must be so thrilled. (I've just noticed that "Hannah" is a palindrome lol!)

Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog! Well done, winning an ATC competition. You wouldn't have been able to get Inktense pencils at that time because they've only recently come out - they are the Latest Thing! I know I am going to have so much fun with them. We've got a craft exhibition day coming up at our church and I'm trying to get lots of pieces made for that, so watch this space!!

Shoshi

KraftyKoolKat said...

What gorgeous parchment Kate. You are a very talented lady. I spotted you on MIM this week.

Hugs
Cathy
xxxxx

Anonymous said...

hi. this is hannah. thanks for all your compliments on my ATC's. thanks grandma for putting them on here. it's kind of enbarassing. :)

Sarn said...

No Hannah . . .it's COOL that your ATC's got published and have received comments from around the world! Well, I think so anyway!

All of these ATCs are great and so different. Have fun swapping xxx

Lynne K said...

Wonderful ATCs, all of them! My favourites are Kate's parchment one and Hannah's butterfly one. But I also like flowers and fairies too! Two very talented ladies.

My grandsons, aged 3 and 7, are occasional cardmakers - when they're in the mood! It's so lovely to be able to make things with them. Glad you enjoyed your UK trip Kate, and had a good time with your family.

Hugs,
Lynne x

Shoshi said...

Great minds think alike, Kate! Fancy you doing stencils too! Hope you get on OK with your new purchases. It's very much trial and error, and also, different machines vary tremendously - even machines of the same make! Stencil cutting isn't the easiest thing, but worth it in the end.

Swapping an ATC with you would be FUN!!! Let's go for it. I'll email you my address. Got to get going on the ATCs now lol! I haven't made much of a start because I've been working on some 3 x 3 in "tile" type traditional zentangles to mount as cards for our upcoming church craft show.

I think Julia may have started something that will be ongoing - it would be great if it was, because I know of a few who missed out.

Shoshi

Merry said...

Your lace parchment card is wonderful ....saw it over at Make it Monday. Also love the lettering and eyes on Hannah's card. :-)

Irene Retuya said...

Wow!!! Kate, I love your lacé parchment ATC. So awesome...saw it at Make it Monday :)

Leanne said...

Found your card on Make it Monday. It really stood out from the rest. never tried parchment. Your work is beautiful.

Shirley-Anne said...

Hi there Kate .very interesting post , a lovely read . love your parchment work .ATCs are beautiful . Thanks for sharing all on Make it Monday

fatmonica said...

Love your ATCs,they look great.Your granddaughter's are lovely too-I love that she's used your favourite images!