Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Friday, November 30, 2012

A more traditional Christmas card, for Rudolph

Early this week I posted my rather unconventional Christmas card for the last Rudolph day on Sarn's Stamping for Pleasure blog. It was really interesting reading your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time to write them. One or two really liked my card but some of the others reminded me of my days of writing school reports when we were told we must write something 'contructive' about each child, when all you really wanted say was 'your son is a a pain in the butt!' Believe me, I had no illusions that everyone would like it.
However I did say at the time that I would be back later with a more traditional card, so here it is.


I made this using a purchased decoupage sheet. I bought two copies of it, and as they always have too many layers, especially for international posting, I managed to make three cards out the two sets.
I used three or four layers for each topper, and made a frame with nestabilities labels 23 and gold mirri card. The background is a flecked sandy coloured card and I made a rough hill-scape at the base using torn paper and pan pastels. The tiny Bethlehem stamp is by Art Impressions, but I am unsure about the make of the star, which needless to say, I have stamped a bit crooked!
Now I shall link this to Sarn's blog, make the last few inserts and then start on the card writing marathon.

10 comments:

Bonnie said...

Oh, my, I like this one so much better! The torn paper makes beautiful scenery!

Saskia said...

Love the bethlehem stamp and nice frame you did with the nestability, I alway tend to forget those sort of details.

veronica said...

love your desert background, very effective - this is much more my scene than the skulls! Don't think I have come across that die before, lovely shape

Sarn said...

Very traditional and absolutely perfect!

Thanks for joining in with Rudolph Day for a second time. Good luck.

Hugs
Sarn xxx

Kathleen said...

Sorry, but I couldn't remember what your first card was like so had to go and check and, tell it like it is, I much prefer your first card although the background to this card is cleverly done, the first card is so very different.
I hope I don't have to write 100 lines for this comment.

Kath x

Jean said...

This is lovely Kate, I like the interesting label die shape and the background scene you have created. I think the star is from a Chocolate Baroque set. Jean x

scrappymo! said...

Oh thank goodness...no more happy creepmas!!!
Love this...I like the little village of Bethlehem in the distance...over the hills.
Great job!!!

kiwimeskreations said...

What a fabulous card Kate - love the way you have mounted the image over the 'desert scene'. That was a brilliant touch!
Blessings
Maxine

Glenda Atkins said...

Must say I love this one, very traditional and lovely!
hugs
Glenda

Di said...

Love this card Kate, and I just read your lovely words on Ali's blog about missing one another. What a sweet person you are, as she is - another time perhaps.

Len and I are 'home alone' this year too but will still have a good time no doubt.

Now, where did I put me party shoes - off out with a girlie gang tonight :)) Ha, Len is just defrosting himself chilli con carne so he's a happy bunny too! Plus he gets the remote control all to himself without any 'whining from the one and sixpennies' as he calls it :)

Not opened the piccalilli yet BTW - resisting all boarders!! I do hope it lives up to expectations :)

Take care, hugs, Di xx