Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Six of a kind for Rudolph Day

I said last month that it was time I got cracking on my Christmas cards. So how many have I made since then? None!! I didn't even finish off the last three of last month's run of ten until last night! So this month I decided to go for a more modest run of six and I did manage to finish them.

I started by printing off a few sheets of backing paper from a recently purchased Bearly Mine Christmas Traditions digi set. Then I looked through my Christmas stamps and found these trees by Chocolate Baroque. I have had them for several years but I am not sure they have ever been inked! They have now. I stamped them in Momento Olive grove, and added more colour with copic markers, and then fussy-cut them to mount on the topper panels.


One of the backing papers reminded me of the lovely lattice embossing folder that Di sent to me, so I used that to emboss a white background  and cut it with a labels 20 die. I cut around the outside of the die by hand to make a contrasting mat. (Isn't it time the die companies realised that we want a narrow mat for all our dies instead of the well spaced one they  seem to provide, if they give you one at all?) I used the same contrasting paper to cut  a small panel for the sentiment which was

computer generated and cut with the smallest die in the Resplendant Rectangles set. When everything was dry I highlighted the starts on top of the trees,  the sides of the trees, and the ground below them with stickles glitter glue.

 I made three cards like this which used up a sheet of backing paper, so I then chose a red sheet and made three more reversing the colours. I couldn't bring myself to do red trees though, so they stayed green. Because one of the red papers had snowflakes on, I used a snowflake embossing folder for the toppers on these two.

And just to prove I really did make six this time, here they are.

Now I am going to link these to the Rudolph day Challenge over on Stamping for Pleasure. Pay Sarn a visit if you want to know more about it.
I am also entering them in: 

14 comments:

Sarn said...

Morning Kate . . . absolutely LOVE these fab festive cards. Congrats on getting 6 more in the box in preparation.

Thanks for joining in with Rudolph Day.

Hugs
Sarn xxx

kiwimeskreations said...

Lovely cards Kate - and I really like the way you matched the embossing to the papers.
Blessings
Maxine

Di said...

Lovely Christmas cards Kate - and six in one go too! I love the designs and am so happy you like the embossing folder.

Am sooo with you about it being time that die makes did narrower borders, although you did these beautifully!

Hugs, Di xx

Jean said...

Lovely set of cards Kate, very industrious. I'm afraid my collection is still progressing one at a time,but I am still way ahead than usual for this time of year.
I like how well your backing paper matches the embossing folder.Nice traditional colours too.
Jean x

Pat (mspfd) said...

Gorgeous creations! Love the Christmas trees and background papers.

Saskia said...

Wonderful Christmas cards, Kate. I intend to start pretty soon as well. Love the trees you've used.

Kathleen said...

Oh I just love these, great tree stamp and the layout is great, I know what you mean about the narrow matting, that really bugs me.
Fab cards.

Kath x

Elizabeth said...

Super set of cards, the trees are fab ... glad to see I'm not the only one who has stamps that have never been inked :) However, these trees are too useful to be forgotten. Elizabeth xx

MaryH said...

Fabulous die to use on your pretty trees. Love the embossing that echoes your background papers. Agree with you about the mat dies too! TFS & great job on having 6 made.

Glenda Atkins said...

Awesome set of Christmas cards, beautiful tree stamp!
hugs
Glenda

downrightcrafty said...

wow love these great idea
Hugs Kate xx

veronica said...

well done Kate - you're way ahead of me with Christmas cards! Def agree about the matting on dies, it's almost always way too big

Heather said...

Yeay for you getting your six cards done for the month!!! It's a good start; keep playing along with us and your will have lots done before Christmas arrives. Beautiful papers (Bearly Mine has some fabulous ones) and the trees are very pretty, too. I'm glad you didn't do red trees to go with the papers! : ) THanks for playing with CSAYL.

scrappymo! said...

Sure agree about the mats...you have an even hand to fussy cut such a fancy pattern!

Your 6 cards look great and will be a great addition to your finished Christmas cards box.