Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Kirigami and more

I've been rushing around today getting ready for our flight to UK tomorrow, so I have only just sat down at my computer and realised that I have missed WOYWW again. I shall now be missing for two and a bit weeks, so I thought I'd do a quick post on one of my cards instead. This is the one I started a few weeks ago for my grandson. His birthday is actually on 9/11. but he is too young to be looking at my blog. There are far more exciting things to be doing when you are seven! I shall see him at the big family party on Friday but I will leave his card with his dad for the right day.

This was my second attempt at kirigami (the Japanese art of paper folding and cutting), and this time I was using a pattern for a triceratops. It proved to be much harder to put together than the lions I had done previously, and it was not very willing to stay together. So in the end I broke the rules of kirigami and added a few dots of glue to some of the tabs, to make it strong enough to be handled by a little fellow! Anyway, this is what he looks like.


This done, I turned my attention to the card front. I wanted to use more cheerful colours this time so I printed out a DoodlePantry digi stamp of a 'cartoon' triceratops, and coloured it with my copics. I then used adobe photoshop to design the layout using a digi paper pack called Cupcake birthday from Stitchy bear, a digi frame from Jessica's Art, and a sentiment from the same set as the dinosaur. I added the Birthday script and saved it all as a jpg. Then in Publisher I sized it to fit the front of my card and printed it out. I cut out the centre of the frame and cut my coloured image to fit behind it. Then it was mounted onto the white base card which I had distressed a little with a Spiced marmalade ink pad. A shiny number seven peel-off finished it off.
That's it then. Time to pack a case!

2 comments:

kiwimeskreations said...

Wonderful card for a seven year old Kate!
Enjoy your trip and time with family.
Blessings
Maxine

Saskia said...

Cool card for a young child, I always find that challenging.