Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Friday, April 25, 2014

Rudolf Day Recycled

I have just returned from two weeks in UK, and having had a lovely week with my sister who came back with me, I now have a list of 'must do' projects to complete before I fly back to UK in ten days time for our grand-daughter's wedding. So I made a start today with two recycled Christmas cards for Rudolph Day tomorrow. (That's the 25th of each month when Sarn encourages to make and show two Christmas cards). I needed something quick to do, so I rifled through the pile of old Christmas card bits that I have saved, and chose a few items to play around with.

For the first card I have used a red and gold background from one card, a post-box image from another, and a red mirri-card poinsettia from a third. (It is much more red than it looks in the photo).I made a white A6 base card, and used a snippet of red card and a gold peel-off border to mat the image, and another tiny snippet of the card to hold a gold peel-off greeting. Some gold-ice stickles on the snow gave it a bit of sparkle, and that was one done. As is the nature of shiny card, the gold background is marred by my own reflection as I took the photo, but I won't worry about that too much.




For my second card I used a bright robin from one card, a holly wreath from another, a snippet of robin paper and a green sheet from a Papermania 6"x6" pad. I fussy cut the robin and fixed him behind the holly wreath which was already cut out. For the background I used a Martha Stweart cut-around-the -page punch set, and matted it onto some green holly paper. Then I attached this to a white square base card. The white background paper has tiny robins dotted all over it, but when it was assembled I noticed that the top left hand corner was completely bare, so I added a small red peel-off greeting there.
So that is my two cards for this month, and I have to say that I am very pleased to have used up some more of my salvaged oddments, which I always keep but rarely use! Tomorrow I am off to the hospital early for laser surgery on my poor left eye, and as I have no idea whether I will be able to use it to do anything on the computer when I get home, I shall try to link this up before I go.
As well as the Rudolph Day challenge on Sarn's blog, Stamping for Pleasure, I will also link up in Pixie's Snippets Playground.

11 comments:

Sarn said...

Hi Kate - firstly I want to wish you good luck for your laser surgery. Hope all goes well for you.

Thanks for entering these 2 beauties into Rudolph Day. Great recycling and pretty embellishing!

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Di said...

Hi Kate! Welcome back - I did just read your other blog about your adventures, crumbs you've been very busy!

Love these upcycled cards (especially the robin) and what's so interesting is that you managed to incorporate parts of different cards. I tend to just pick a single card to upcycle and think what I can do with it. Given me food for thought here!

Hugs, Di xx

Jean said...

Two lovely cards Kate, I agree with Di about your combining bits from several cards, very ingenious. I love the gold and red card in the background of the first one.
Jean x

Mary said...

Great cards Kate. Isn't it satisfying to use up our "treasures". Thinking of you as you recover from your eye procedure. I'm sure we will be "seeing" you back at creating soon. How fun to travel to your granddaughter's soon wedding. Don't they grow up way too fast? Happy Rudolph Day!

Twinks Stamping said...

Lovely traditional looking cards xxx Jan x

kiwimeskreations said...

Hope your laser surgery went well - a bit of an inconvenience but not uncommon after cataract surgery I understand.

Love your cards - you have gone a long way to inspire me to re-cycle my stacks of cards that I have saved for children to use in collages...
Blessings
Maxine

MaryH said...

First: Good luck on your eye surgery and pray that all goes well for a super result. Second: love both these cards. So interesting reading how you salvaged bits & pieces from several cards to make a totally new & beautiful one. #1 is gleamingly & gorgeous! I must confess #2 is my special fav, though- because of that sweet little bird. The holly framed him so prettily, and then the lacy border behind the holly was really over-the-top beautiful. WTGo on using the border punch so well..and getting corners to match where they should. I've tried this, and not always so successfully - even when I use the required size of paper. Well done on the 2 cards, and so happy you got your sweet sis to return home for some more together time. TFS & Hugs. Happy Sunday too.

scrappymo! said...

Two wonderful card! Love that you were able to recycle items onto them. That is always such a good feeling!!!

scrappymo! said...

Just popped back to say hope all goes well with the laser surgery on your eye!

Kathleen said...

Two gorgeous re-cycled cards.

Kath x

Jules said...

Hi Kate

Two fabulous Christmas cards. Lovely to get some done early isn't it!

Just been looking at the wedding pictures on your other blog. Your Granddaughter did indeed look very beautiful.

What a super special happy day you must have all had!

Hope you are having a good week.

Love Jules xx