Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Cheers!

I have been rather noticeable by my absence just lately, but this does not mean I haven't been spending time in my craft-room. It is just that I have made several projects that are all 'time-sensitive', so after their relevant events have taken place, I will be blogging very frequently for a while.
However I am going to show one card that I have made. My son's partner has a 'significant birthday' coming up, but I know he will not be seeing this blog so I think it is safe to show it now.
I started with some cream card that I cut on my silhouette cameo to form a 15cm square card back with a wine bottle attached at the left edge.

I used some digital scrapbook paper from a kit called 'Wine o-clock', and in photoshop I added a glass of wine and a cork from the elements file.

There were no grapes in this file, which I felt there should have been, so I found some google images of a fruiting vine, and a bunch of grapes, and conveted them to png files so I could slide them onto my background. I printed this out and glued it to the inside of my card blank. 
From a left over piece of card I cut a second bottle and swiped it with distress inks, and when it was completly dry, I used versamark ink and fine, clear embossing powder to make it look like glass. I used an even smaller card snippet to cut a cork and wound twine around it and then covered it with adhesive foil ribbon, and coloured it with green alcohol ink.
I am not sure where the original label came from but it has been in my files for quite a while. (I believe it is modelled on a Jack Daniels label!). Anyway, I opened it in publisher to add my own words and the relevant year, and printed it onto a snippet of parchment paper and distressed it with Old Paper distress ink. I curled one corner and then glued it to my wine bottle. A matching snippet made the tag - printed on the computer -  which I matted onto dark red card and then some of the 'cut-away' from the base card.
I thought there was rather too much brown space in the centre, so I distressed another piece of my cut-away card and used a Britannia alphabet die to cut the word Cheers.
This picture shows the separation of the wine bottle better. Fortunately there was nothing on the back of the bottle inside the card, so I was able to write my message to him on there.               I used a lot of off-cuts of paper and card for this, so I shall pop over to Pixie's Snippets Playground to join in the fun there.






9 comments:

scrappymo! said...

This is so special and an amazing design,
Love the thought that went into narking this special birthday,
I was born in the same year and know just how special it
Is.
Wonderful card.

Jean said...

Fabulous card Kate, all your elements fit together so well.I love the picture of grapes that you chose. I see you are still using the gold cord that we bought at the NEC one year, so am I, I used some this week too.
Jean x

Saskia said...

Great card, wonderful idea to use the label in this way.

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh Kate you really are a whizz with the computer - this is amazing - and I must say a stunning card.
Blessings
Maxine

Di said...

WOW Kate - what a stunner of a card. Absolutely perfect for the occasion - just brilliant!

Hugs, Di xx

Sarn said...

SUPER male card and sure to be well received.
Hugs, Sarn xxx

Karen Petitt said...

Hi Kate, just popped over from the Playground as I saw this there. It is fabulous! I love how you have made the card special for the guy who will get it - fantastic male card that is so special. Fabulous use of snippets Karen x

Chris said...

Hi Kate Nice to see you back with a great card that fits the occation perfectly

MaryH said...

Oh Wow! This is a fantastic card, so beautifully designed and so many special elements on it to celebrate this big day. I had as much fun reading all the how-to's (with amazement) as I did enjoying seeing how this card turned out. You are one clever designed...with creating the card, but all the computer skills involved in creating it! Well DONE! I'm sure the recipient will be so thrilled with what you've done. TFS &Hugs