Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Monday, August 25, 2014

Using up some stash for Rudolph day

As some of you will know, I am in the throes of rearranging my craft room, and it is a very slow business, mainly because I am easily distracted by stash I haven't looked at for quite a while. One of the things I re-discovered was a big envelope containing calendars from several years ago, all of which I felt at the time, had craft-potential! Among them were a Flower Fairies calendar and a Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady one. For each month they had a picture, and elements for decoupaging them, and two were ideal for my Christmas cards this month.

The first one is from the Country Dairy calendar. I cut the image and elements out. It only has two layers but I added dimension with the careful use of silicone glue, allowing some of the second layer to extend beyond the main image. I wanted to use some pre-cut cards and envelopes I had found, so I looked for a suitable snippet to use as a BP. This red was just too short, so I cut it across and separated it, hiding the gap with a strip of holly border, also from the calendar. I added a bit of glitz with stickles frosting on the leaves, and used a large gel sticker from a set that might have been in my drawer for a decade or more!

I am a collector of Fairies, but only the Flower Fairies of Cicely Mary Barker. In our main room I have a display of 48 collectors plates depicting them, as well as mugs, canisters, cross-stitched pictures etc, so it is no wonder someone gave me a calendar of them. And, of course, the December page depicted the pretty Christmas tree fairy. The two things I love about these fairies is their charming faces, which she drew by sketching the little children in her sister's nursery school, and the poems that accompany each one which are full of accurate botanical details about the flower/plant.

For this card, I chose a BP snippet from my Christmas box, that was covered in sparkly Christmas Trees - possible from a Papermania pad but I am not sure. The image had three layers this time. You cannot see in the photo, but the lower branch is layered and it was quite a game cutting all those pine needles! Again to add a bit of glitz I used stickles around the hem of her dress, a gold glitter pen on her star and wand, and a Wink-of-stella gilt pen on her wings.  Another fairly ancient addition is the green and gold sentiment banner, which I balanced with a dark green bow and a tiny silver tree charm, tinted with butterscotch alcohol ink as the other 'extras' are gold.

I wasn't sure I would  be able to join in today as our internet was down this morning - apparently because of a power cut in Mojacar! - but we are up and running again now, so now I will link these up with Sarn at Stamping for Pleasure, and also in Pixie's Snippets Playground for the backing papers I used.

16 comments:

Sally H said...

Two gorgeous cards, Kate! I particularly love the birds on the first. Beautiful!

Jean said...

Two lovely cards Kate. The little birds are very sweet and I like the way you let the leaves overlap the frame.
Of course I love the fairy one too, she really is very pretty. You did an amazing job cutting out the christmas tree branch.
Jean x

veronica said...

nice cards Kate, good to use up the rediscovered stash! well done on cutting out those branches too

Veerle said...

Very beautiful cards Kate. Love the delicate colours of the second one. Hugs Veerle xxx

Kathleen said...

Two stunning cards and both using great images.

Kath x

Carol L said...

I too am often distracted by uncovering some forgotten item in my stash! The distraction for you worked out to be two fantastic cards! I love them equally, and can't choose a favorite! NJ!

kiwimeskreations said...

What a great way to tidy/rearrange your craft area - use the bits and bobs as you go :-) - and they are beautifully used too!
Blessings
Maxine

Shirley-Anne said...

Hello Kate thank you for calling in and commenting on my post . I believe that Yvonne only shares her drawings privately so you have to be a follower on G+ I think ..Just found that out .
Love the two cards shared here .
Love the way you cleverly extended the red layer on the bird card with a strip of holly paper. And your hard work at 3D ing the image for the fairy card has paid off as this is a beautiful card
hugs Shirley-Anne

scrappymo! said...

Two pretty cards. I love the overhanging boughs on the second card...I can see why you love those fairies!
The first has such wonderful birds...great job on the stretching of that red paper.

I love stretching my snippets so that cardmaking is mainly using my stash. It is a great feeling.

You are an expert in this technique as well! lol

Jenny L said...

Hi Kate,
2 very lovely Rudolf card.
Fab idea to recycle.
Now I have lots of Cecily Fairy plates that I inherited from my Mum when she sadly passed away.
My other 2 sisters didn't want them and as my mother loved her fairies I took them and had to buy a unit of furniture to house them.
I also have some eggs with fairies on too.
We actually put fairies on my mother's graves headstone too.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

Di said...

Oh how lovely Kate! I have a big box of plates in the loft here (Bradford Exchange) but not with fairies on. Country scenes and destined for the charity shop.

Two gorgeous cards - I specially love how the first one came together - it seems as if everything was waiting to be used :)

Hugs, Di xx

Twinks Stamping said...

Two lovely cards and how great to have re-discovered the pieces to make them, in your stash! xx

MaryH said...

I enjoyed this post, and delighted to find I'm not the only one that gets distracted when I find things I had forgotten that I saved! (I save pretty calendars too.) It was so interesting to read how you've salvaged the lovely pictures to re-use in two beautiful cards. Some tremendous creativity on each to use the 'found items' when they didn't quite fit as you needed, because you have 2 stunning cards. I loved the fairy, but have to admit, I'm partial to #1 (birds - no big surprise, that!) Also smiled at your pine needle fussy cutting. That must have taken tremendous patience! TFS & Hugs

Sarn said...

Hi Kate

I'm playing catch up after returning from holiday - hence the late comment!

Well done for getting sidetracked into making two gorgeous festive cards! Hope the rest of the tidy up goes well.

Thanks for joining in with Rudolph Day.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Hettie said...

What a beautiful post today Kate. These cards are gorgeous and well done for using stuff up.
Hugs
xx

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

So very lovely creations Kate... clever use of stash.. love them both. Shaz in Oz xxx