Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Monday, December 8, 2014

More Silhouette fun

I am doing two posts in quick succession, because I am still having internet problems. I have no idea why it is happening, but from around 7.00 each night I can open and update e-mails, Facebook and twitter, but nothing else. At mid-night it suddenly all starts working again. Any ideas anyone???
So I wrote one post earlier this evening, and then had to wait until mid-night to link it up and publish it. Now I am doing a second quick post before I go to bed.
For my last few cards I  tried something a little more ambitious with my silhouette cameo, using files I bought as svg files a while ago, from svgHut. But first I made a more straightforward one that I just thought was quite fun, and suitable to send to a teenage grandson.
I used some snowy backing paper from my stash, matted onto holographic silver paper and mounted onto a white base card.
The snowmen were cut from white pearl paper, and the features from tiny snippets of vinyl. These funny snowmen looked really odd until I added the tiny white vinyl dots to their eyes. then they suddenly came to life. 
The sentiment was cut from the same white pearl paper, and the snowflakes from snippets of silver vinyl.


Then it was time to try my special cards. This the front of the first one, all cut from vinyl and transferred onto cream leather-look paper, and then to brown card.

The more observant of you will realise this is the same image I used on my lightbox in my previous post. I actually made this one first and used it as a trial run to see how my file would look before cutting the larger one for the frame. But for this card it is the inside that is more important, so here it is.


As you can see this was a very intricate cutting file and I was nearly tearing my hair out by the time I had managed to cut all the layers well enough to use. The top picture shows the completed scene, and the lower one was taken looking down on it more to show how it is fitted together. The four strips are cut from light grey and three different shades of brown pearl paper. I used this as I know it cuts better than more fibrous paper or card. I then cut the small items, kings, stable and palm trees, again in dark brown and glued them over the base layer to make them stand out more, and to strengthen them. I was pleased with this as a first attempt, although I made one major error. The layers are slotted into diagonal slits in a base sheet, and I needed to fix this firmly to the main card to keep them in place. Unfortunately I half closed the card to press the tape down and then found it was not quite into the centre of the card, so when I opened it out flat to make the scene pop-up, it split down part of the centre line. I decided it had been too much work to waste, so I split it the rest of the way down and used it anyway. I was making it for my sister Dorothy who once told me she always loved pop-up cards as a child. She is soon to hit eighty now, but hopefully she will still like them, and I know she will not mind my mistake!

I had another of these files and decided to have another go, so here is the front of my second card which I made with my favourite Santa cutting file. (The empty white space below the Happy Christmas actually has my two grandsons names on aka Big bear and Little bear. Visit my other blog if you want to know what I am talking about).
I made a better job of this one, and glued the inside onto a flat base, so no split this time. Otherwise the process was the same.
I loved the way this turned out, and I am sure the boys will too.
I used some tiny snippets to cut the second layer of the deer and the sleigh, so I am also linking this to Pixie´s Snippets Playground. It is not often I get to play there twice in one day.
Craft a scene are also asking for a winter scene, and although this usually includes some stamping I think this meets the criteria. so I am linking with them as well. 


14 comments:

kiwimeskreations said...

WOW Kate you are so handy with all this computer based 'stuff' - with fabulous results! I am in awe of your talent.
Blessings
Maxine

Bonnie said...

Wow! The snowmen are adorable and immediately brought a smile to my face. The pop up cards left me with my jaw on the floor! WOW! is all I can say!

NancyD said...

Well Kate they may not be stamped but they are amazing. Very cool! Thank you for joining us at Craft a Scene challenge. NancyD

Jean said...

Fabulous cards Kate, the pop ups look amazing and very clever, and I loved the quirky snowmen and whimsical sentiment.
Jean x

Sarn said...

I can only echo everyone else's WOW and AMAZING type comments. Your work here is stunning Kate. xxx

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

Wow, stunning Kate. So glad you joined us with these wonderful scenes this month.

Sue xx

MaryH said...

WOW! Loved your funky snowmen on #1, and definitely those eye dots added lots of personality to make them come alive. They are just fun! Then I am looking at the next card, reading how you did it, and am just mind-boggled. How you approached making the interior, and getting all of it working together to do what you wanted. My guess is that your sister will not notice a 'split'...I sure didn't! It looks just fabulous & impressive. Loved the cheery #3 as well, but gotta tell ya, #2 just blew my mind! You are just a whiz with that machine and some vinyl. WTGo. TFS & Hugs

Di said...

Wow and double wow Kate!! Am blown away by your pop up cards - Len would adore them as he keeps telling me to have a go!

Very, very clever indeed!

Hugs

Di xx

Shirley-Anne said...

hello Kate Warm wishes for a wonderful Christmas and many happy moments with friends and family .
Awesome snow men for first card Love the eyes . Your pop up cards are amazing and I am sure they will be loved .
hugs Shirley-Anne

Kathy said...

Awesome cards! The pop up cards are just beautiful. I'm now one of your new followers.

Liz said...

The pop-up cards are amazing! Just stunning! xx

Dora said...

stunning, beautiful scene. also how you made this.
thank you for joining at craft a scene this month.
kind regards, Dora

Darnell said...

This was an amazing array of cards, Kate! Thank you for all the inspiration!! I'm worried that you are having major computer problems since you haven't been on for quite a while! I hope all is well and your Christmas was merry! Happy New Year!! Hugs, Darnell

Neet said...

Don't know what to say but these pop up cards are amazing! I am dumbstruck in awe of them.
Hugs, Neet xx