Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Butterfly Challenge #79

Having just about recovered from having my lovely son and his partner here for twelve days, while also suffering with a virus that left me feeling like a wet dish-rag, I decided it was time to go looking for my mojo and get making again.
I needed a birthday card for one of my sisters later this month, so when I saw the Butterfly Challenge was open for four weeks this time, I thought I could combine the two.
My sister will be a magnificent 89 years old, so I wanted something  bright and bold for her and I chose some dark fuchsia-pink card, which is one that would normally be left as I came to the end of a mixed colour pad!

I used a cutting file that I think I bought from Craftuprint. It was for a tent-fold card with a circular, over the edge, centre piece, but it turned out to be a poor file because the two were welded together which meant cutting it would leave me with a folded card with a big hole in the centre, and lots of 'confetti'!! So I played around with it in my Silhouette Cameo design software for a while and managed to extract a file for the base and a second one for the centre overlay, which I made sure to save in my library so I can use it again sometime.
I cut the base from the pink card and the overlay from some pale cream card.
For the centre , I used a hero Arts stamp on the left over cream card, and sorted out some copic pens that toned with the pink card to colour it, adding some yellow Leonie Pujol sparkle ink to the flower centre. Then I cut them out with the matching Sizzix framelet die, and glued them to the cream mat.

For the butterfly I used  two matching Memory Box dies, one lacey and one solid, cutting the lacy one from some more of the cream card, and the solid one from a single layer of Fantasy film-watermelon, which has pink tints in it. I glued them together and then cut a second cream lacey layer and glued the filmy one to it just along the body. I cut a body from a snippet of the pink card and used it to attach the butterfly to the card. This gives the wings a lovely iridescent sheen which actually shows in the photo for once.
I wanted a bold sentiment but the one I had was just too big for the space. It should have looked like this. But I cut it from more cream card anyway and carefully trimmed away the 'swooshes' just leaving me with the two words. I moved them around until they fitted in my space and glued them on, and I am happy with the way this turned out.

So now I will Link up with The Butterfly Challenge #79 where the challenge this time is to use L is for layers,  the colour cream, and of course, a butterfly. And remember, you still have nearly two more weeks to add your own creations.

9 comments:

Jean said...

This is lovely Kate, I love the bright colour, and you made the flowers match really well. The butterfly looks beautiful with the shimmery wings too.
Jean x

kiwimeskreations said...

What a lovely card kate - love the fuschia pink base and how you have used it to make this card come alive, and the shimmery film on the butterfly is perfect.
Blessings
Maxine

Donna said...

What a gorgeous card for your sister, like the beautiful pink and lovely design!

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Amazing card, so sweet! Love the colours combo and the design!
Thanks for entering your card in the Butterfly Challenge#79!

scrappymo! said...

Love the shimmer of the butterfly and the way you mounted it over the DP flain matching die.
The design of your card is lovely and the overall effect is stunning!

Mrs A. said...

Having problems with blogger eating my comments at the moment. Just checked back here and can't see what I posted before so Will again.
This is a pretty card and I love the deep pink background . Makes the flower image really pop. Thank you for fluttering into the butterfly garden . Hugs Mrs A.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Oh! this is so lovely I should think your Sister loved it. 89 sounds younger the closer I get to it LOL.
Faith
x

veronica said...

Finally got round to commenting on your lovely card Kate - the tablet won't let me comment, so have to remember to check when i use the computer!
I love the colours, and you are so clever with the cutting files, am very envious! Am sure your sister will love it
xxxx

Barb said...

Oh this is lovely Kate and those flowers are so pretty. Barbxx